Going crazy with dlls

I have recently been working on a Microsoft .NET platform and specifically using the MVC. I had MVC installed on my local machine as I was coding the first lines. Locally testing the web was easy too. Just press F5 and off you go.

However the problem, as there is often the case, came when publishing the code to live. I didn´t want to install MVC on the server and you can not expect the thing to work without the dlls, so I decided to copy the required dlls inside the project itself and try sipping it this way.

As soon as I copied the required System.Web.Mvc and System.Web.Routing to an assemblies folder inside the project and changed the reference paths, everything broke down. Now, I´m talking about the local testing environment here. I could not made my mind up as to how something that works on one path of one machine, doesn´t work on another. "Shall I blame Microsoft again" I thought to myself. As you can observe from a quick look of the rest of my posts, I tend not to use non free software much.

The truth is that it had a simple solution. On Visual Studio 2008 on the References tab (inside options), you can add and remove assembly references. Well, on the bottom, there is a "Imported namespaces" area. When changing the path to the assemblies, this box gets unchecked just check it back.

Also, to make it sure that is getting the local copy and not going to the GAC, double click on the path and inside the properties, set Copy Local to true.

This is it, ship the assemblies with the project and make your client happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A case against bloom filters in bitcoin

To pray or not to pray